- 2003-2004: 48XF, National University of Civil Engineering
- 2004-2009: Bridge engineering student, Tongji University, China
- 2010-2014: PhD, School of Engineering, University of Warwick, UK
- Graduate member of Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
- Young member of British Tunnelling Society (BTS)
- Structural instability
- Pultruded FRP materials and structures
- Steel structures
- Innovative bridge materials and design
- Design of modern steel bridges
- Advanced bridge engineering
Msc student’s supervision
- K Son (2015). The use of Stone Matrix Asphalt (SMA) for rutting resistance. Co-supervisor with Dr Nguyen Huynh Tuan Tai (BMT Group)
- N. Luong (2015). Effects of the breaking cables on the dynamic behaviour of Binh Loi 2 Bridge. Co-supervisor with Dr Dang Vu Hiep (Tatasteel Project, UK)
- H.Q.Tuan (2015). The Measurement of Dynamic Characteristics of Footbridges in Ho Chi Minh City. Co-supervisor with Dr Dang Vu Hiep (Tatasteel Project, UK)
- C.Giap (2015). Structural damage identification of concrete box-girder bridges. Co-supervisor with Dr Phung Manh Tien (Technical World Group)
| Prizes and awards
- Runner-up, Poster competition at The 6th biennial Advanced Composites for Construction conference, UK,2013
- Vietnamese Government Postgraduate scholarship (PhD research) 2010-2013
- President of Tongji University Scholarship for academic year 2007-2008
- President of Tongji University Scholarship for academic year 2006-2007
- NGUYEN, T.T., CHAN, T.M. and MOTTRAM, J.T. (2013). Influence of boundary conditions and geometric imperfections on lateral–torsional buckling resistance of a pultruded FRP I beam by FEA. Composite Structures, 100, 233-242. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2012.12.023
- NGUYEN, T.T., CHAN T.M. and MOTTRAM, J. T. (2014). Lateral-torsional buckling resistance by testing of pultruded FRP beams under different loading ad displacement boundary conditions. Composites Part B: Engineering, 60, 306-318. doi:10.1016/j.compositesb.2013.12.025
- NGUYEN, T.T, CHAN, T.M and MOTTRAM, J.T. (2015). Lateral-torsional buckling design for pultruded FRP beams. Composite Structures, 133, 782-793. doi:10.1016/j.compstruct.2015.07.079
- NGUYEN, T.T., CHAN, T.M. and MOTTRAM, J. T. (2012). Coupled buckling of simply supported fiber reinforced polymer I-beams: A finite element parametric study. In Proceedings of CIMS2012 Conference, Glasgow, UK, 407-414.
- NGUYEN, T.T. ,CHAN, T.M. and MOTTRAM, J.T. (2013). Experimental determination of the resistance of pultruded FRP beams failing by lateral-torsional buckling, In Proc. 6th Inter. Conf. on Advanced Composites in Construction, NetComposites Ltd., Chesterfield, UK, 2013, 252-263.
- NN Luong, NT Thuy, DV Hiep, PV Tien (2015). Effects of the breaking cables on the dynamic behaviour of Binh Loi 2 Bridge. In Proc. of Science and Technology Conference (HCM-UT), 88-94.
- N.T Thuy (2015). The determination of local buckling stress of pultruded FRP shapes. In Proc. of Science and Technology Conference (HCM-UT), 118-127.
- NK Son, N.T Thuy (2015). A review of SMA and potential application in Vietnam. In Proc. of Science and Technology Conference (HCM-UT), 133-138.